Simply delightful


I've always wanted to actually eat at Cafe Gratitude, but due to the fact I haven't had the opportunity to take a trip cross country, I just pretend to travel there by making various recipes from the "I Am Grateful" uncookbook. If you don't already have a copy, I highly recommend getting your hands on one.

Lately, I haven't had as much time in my raw kitchen to play around with such recipes, let alone my own, so you can imagine my glee when I discovered Natural Zing had begun selling the I Am Delighted Chocolate Fudge Cookies, as well as the Lemon Coconut Cookies (and don't forget about the thumbprint cookies and granola, too). Unable to make up my mind about which to sample first, I ordered up a package of each.

These are the perfect after-school snack, along with a glass of fresh nutmilk (Helen explains how to make almond milk in this Zing Babies post), but since I couldn't wait for school to start (by the time you read this, it probably will be in session), I opted to bring them with the kids and I to the beach/boardwalk for an end of summer excursion. To see more of our trip (and get the kids' reaction to the taste test), check out my "Cookie Monsters" post on my blog.

Anyway, I have to say that I am very impressed with the presentation. These cookies really do look like professional cookies, as the lemon ones are cut into perfect rounds and the fudge flowers are neatly piped with a candied walnut center.

As for the taste, the simple ingredients (cashews, coconut flakes, agave nectar, lemon juice, vanilla, Himalayan salt and love) in the lemon cookies are quite refreshing, especially on a hot summer day. The amount of lemon was just right.

And, who doesn't like chocolate? These are fudgy, as promised, with a dense, chewy, cake-like texture (think Chewy Chips Ahoy, if you can admit to ever eating those things) and crunchy center. You've gotta love that combo. BTW, they've got "love" in their ingredient list (almond flour, walnuts, macadamia nuts, cashews, agave nectar, cacao powder, coconut palm sugar, dates, vanilla, Himalayan salt and love), too.

To sum it all up, I'd have to say these cookies are simply delightful. You've really gotta try them :-)

*****

Shannonmarie, a.k.a. "Rawdorable," also posts on her blog of the same name, http://rawdorable.blogspot.com/.

Comments