Raw Food Summer Recipes (From the Archives)

Natural Zing starting a new series called "From the Archives". Helen recently found electronic copies of our old newsletters and some of the recipes and articles were still helpful and relevant. Here is the 1st of the series with updates from Shannon.
 
I was so excited to check my e-mail inbox the other day and find these "From the Archives" recipes from Helen. Although so easy to make, sometimes you need a little reminder to get them on your plate. And, when you do, don't forget to take a photograph or two to keep them fresh in your mind.

It's fun to revisit recipes and snap new shots. I don't know about you, but I like these new views. What do you think? They look perfect for a Labor Day gathering, without much labor involved in both preparation and presentation.

First up are the raw veggie kabobs that were featured in a past Natural Zing newsletter (that's them marinading in the picture to the left; they look yummy already).

Don't worry about the lack of measurements, as you can easily adjust the amounts to suit your tastes and the size of your plate, whether it be just for you or the whole crew. Here is how Helen sent the original recipe to me, along with a few of my notes:

Raw Veggie Kabobs
Assorted veggies: grape tomatoes, squash chunks, pineapple, bell pepper (oops, I forgot to add it), pitted or stuffed olives (I ran out of room on the skewer for that, too), onion, etc. (I found mushrooms were the perfect addition)

Marinade: Bariani olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs, garlic and spring onion

  1. Arrange veggies, olives and fruit on skewers artfully.
  2. Marinate skewers for 2 to 12 hours, and then serve over salad greens.
  3. Blend marinade with a small slice of avocado for a creamy dip.

I had fun mock "grilling" these kabobs in my old-school dehydrator for a bit. It kind of looks like one of those round grills I think my parents used to have. One day, I'll try making this recipe in one of these Excalibur models, as I could easily purchase one from Natural Zing.

Next up are the fruitilicious versions of these kabobs with a decadent chocolaty drizzle. Here's the original recipe with my updates. Again, feel free to play around with the measurements.

Fruit Berry Kabobs with Chocolate Sauce
Assorted berries/other fruit: strawberries, blackberries (I substituted raspberries), incan berries (Mmmm ... those would've been good), dates (I used fresh figs from a friend instead), etc. (celebrating the end of summer, I just had to include some peaches)

Chocolate sauce: 1 cup agave nectar (raw & organic), 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder (raw & organic)

  1. Arrange fruit and berries on skewers artfully.
  2. Place skewers on over-sized plates and drizzle with chocolate sauce, creating a Jackson Pollock (I just drizzled it over the top, but my son loved the Jackson Pollock reference; he's a fan).
  3. Share.


Shannonmarie, a.k.a. "Rawdorable," also posts on her blog of the same name, http://rawdorable.blogspot.com/.

Comments