On these colder snowy days it is nice to have something with a little more bulk to it. These dense breads are great just as they are or with a tasty spread, dip, or a little nut butter. I've made these for parties, to add to dinner, or as part of lunches for the kids.
This sensational bread will delight you with a zest of orange sweetness and chewy apricots. Make apple cinnamon bread too using the alterations below!
(Recipe can be found in Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine)
2 c. golden flax seeds, ground
2 c. almonds, soaked
1/2 c. dried apricots, soaked
1 T. orange zest
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. Celtic sea salt
1/2 vanilla bean
1. Soak almonds and apricots for 2 hours.
2. Grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder or a blender (do not grind until super fine; the thicker the mixture, the better the bread).
3. Process almonds in a food processor with the “S” blade until meal-like
4. Process apricots and vanilla bean in the blender until smooth
5. Add some of the apricot soak water to the blend
6. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl; add orange zest, cinnamon, salt, and mix well
7. Form into two loaves approximately 4”x8”x1” and slice into 1/2” pieces.
8. Dehydrate at 145 degrees for 1-3 hours and the 115 degrees for 2 hours, or until desired moisture is obtained.Serves 6-8
Most ingredients can be found on http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog
*Note: For Apple-Cinnamon Bread (replace apricots with c. apples, blended, 1 apple grated and 1/2 c raisins, soaked. Remove zest.)