Fight off colds with camu camu berries.

There's a new Brazilian superstar fruit in town. Camu camu is becoming increasingly popular as a health supplement for its supposed antioxidant properties. But is there something to this rain forest fruit or is it just about the hype?

This isn't a fruit you'll find on a tree or bush in your neighborhood: camu camu mostly grows in flooded areas of the Amazon rainforest in Peru, Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela, where its fruits and leaves are used for medicinal purposes. Its fruits are about the same size as a lemon, but light orange in color, and full of vitamin C. 

Vitamin C
Camu camu is chock full of vitamin C.  A teaspoon of camu camu powder has 920% percent of your recommended daily intake for vitamin C, which is important for gum health, among other functions in our body.

How To Take It
Adding a ¼ tsp of camu camu powder to any smoothie will work great.  However, I have found it works best with citrus such as orange, pineapple, or lemon, but it goes well with all berries as well.

Four years ago I was feeling a sinus infection coming on and I decided I needed to quickly stop it before I got any further.   I created this smoothie and it works for me and my customers every year.  It is one of the most popular smoothies in my cafe year round.

Super C Orange Creamsicle
by Helen Rose, Raw Food Chef, Superfoods Cafe


1 whole orange (peel and freeze orange in 4 qtr. pieces)
¼ tsp vanilla powder
¼ tsp camu camu powder
12 oz of Raw Almond Milk or similar milk.

Instructions:
Place in blender and blend until smooth.  Add sweetener if you need it.  Add ice if you want it more chilled.
 

Comments

Unknown said…
It's really a great product. I add it to warm milk with cinnamon. I sleep more soundly as earlier. It has healthy nutrients which are fresh and good for you.
Organic Camu Camu Powder