Vinegar Based Coleslaw Recipe

Are you looking for coleslaw that doesn't use dairy that is delicious?  You found it.  This is easy to make and you can be creating with flavorings to variations. This is a great side dish and I often add it to the top of my salad for amazing taste, variety, and presentation.

Note: During the pandemic, I've been looking for ways to eat fresh veggies. Cabbage and carrots keep longer than most fresh veggies, so I naturally grabbed some on my last trip to the store.  I came up with this recipe to keep them even longer :).

Prep time: 20 min

Servings 6 (Note: You can easily double this recipe, I did the 2nd time I made it.)
Author: Chef Helen Rose

Ingredients:
1/4 Green Cabbage, thinly sliced  (I use a mandoline.)
1 to 2 whole shredded Carrots (I use a food grater.)
1 to 2 sliced up Green Onion
1/4 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 c. Olive Oil
1 tbs. grainy Mustard
1 tbs. Raw Honey
salt and pepper to taste

Optional:
For an Asian zing: 1/2" Fresh Ginger finely chopped or grated (1/8 tsp dried ginger if you don't have fresh).
Maryland or Coastal flavor: Add Old Bay seasoning to taste.
Traditional: 1 tsp celery seed

Instructions:
1. In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, and olive oil, and spices (ginger, Old Bay, and set aside.
2. In a separate large bowl mix together cabbage, carrots, green onion.
3. Next, pour the small liquid dressing over the large bowl ingredients and mix together until everything is nicely coated.
4. You can serve right away and/or as you store the coleslaw in the refrigerator the flavor soaks into the veggies and tastes even better. 


Comments