Bitter, but subtly sweet


In a past post, I mentioned that the Peruvian Sun-dried Salt-free Olives from Natural Zing were a perfect blank canvas for both savory and sweet. Thanks to Jeff's recipe, I enjoyed a zucchetti (my term for spiralized zucchini) tossed with an olive/tomato pate.

So, you've already got the savory. How does one make these sweet?

I recalled how Jeff once showed me how to make an olive taste like chocolate by wrapping it up inside a date. The bitter and the sweet makes your mind think (or at least my mind) that it's bittersweet chocolate.

This gave me an idea. What if I actually added some raw chocolate and transformed it into one of my favorite treats? A raw cupcake, of course, although this one would be a bit more sophisticated than my usual creations (this one's not for the kiddies, but for those with a more mature palate).

By combining these olives with raw cacao nibs and dates, I ended up with a dessert that reminded me of a cross between a bittersweet flourless chocolate cake and an equally dense olive oil cake. To lighten it up a bit, I served it with a dollop of vanilla banana n'ice cream (I love the contrast of chocolate with vanilla) and some slices of strawberries for a pop of color (and for a little more sweet to balance out the bitterness of the cupcake).

If you think your taste buds can handle it, here's the recipe:

Bittersweet Olive Cupcake
*Makes one sophisticated cupcake, but if you'd like, you can always make more

In food processor, combine the cacao nibs, dates, olives (don't forget to pit them first) and sea salt. Process into a cake-like crumb.

Press this crumbly mixture (it really will be crumbly) into a reusable silicone cupcake liner (a small ramekin will also work) to form the cupcake. It should be packed denser than my usual raw cupcake recipes. Allow to set so the flavors can meld and the cupcake can begin to take shape.

When ready to serve, top it with a dollop of banana n'ice cream (whip sliced frozen bananas in a food processor to create a soft-serve consistency; add some vanilla extract or vanilla bean for more flavor) and some sliced strawberries. Enjoy!

Shannonmarie, a.k.a. "Rawdorable," also posts on her blog of the same name, www.rawdorable.blogspot.com.

Comments

great posting! loving the pictures!