I'm cocoa for this stuff


If you read my blog recently, you already know I'm in the middle of a birthday celebration, as my b-day falls at the end of this month. Rather than overwhelm you with all the raw cupcake unbaking happening on my site, I thought I'd just let you in an another indulgence of mine.

Although you can easily make raw chocolate creations with coconut oil (don't forget Natural Zing has some on special at the moment) and raw cocoa powder (Bali Cocoa Powder is also on sale), I find using raw cocoa butter makes it even better. And, when I want to start my day in an extra special way, I like to add some to my morning smoothie, too.

For instance, you could make this nondairy shake found on the Natural Zing website, substituting cocoa butter for all or part of the almond butter in the recipe. Of course, I prefer to add some bananas and greens to mine.

Speaking of shakes, I actually first purchased raw cocoa butter, so I could make the Shake Your Money Maker smoothie from Matt Amsden's RAWvolution book. It is packed with so many yummy ingredients (all found on the Natural Zing site) that you really will be shaking it all the way through your day.

One of the best things about cocoa butter is that it can also be used to achieve a white chocolate flavor. I sometimes make a green smoothie out of bananas, spinach and/or romaine, cocoa butter and mint. This minty white chocolate concoction really perks me up in the a.m.; no coffee required.

And, if you'd like to brighten the flavor up a bit, white chocolate (cocoa butter, in this case) combines well with grapefruit, too, like in this blast-from-the-past recipe of mine, inspired by Rachael Ray (she had a similar cooked version in her magazine a couple years ago). There's some ginger in it, too, which gives it a little kick. Enjoy!


Citrus Kicked White Chocolate
with Ginger Mousse
/Pudding
1 cup young Thai coconut meat
6-8 Tbsp. fresh pink grapefruit juice (I juiced about half a grapefruit)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/8 cup raw cocoa butter
1 Tbsp. lucuma powder
1 tsp. vanilla
grated fresh ginger, to taste
dash of sea salt

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Pour into serving glass or bowl, chill and serve, garnished with a few small pieces of grapefruit and some cocoa butter shavings.

*Makes two small servings (one for you and one to share), or if you're like me, one large greedy portion.


Shannonmarie, a.k.a. "Rawdorable," also posts on her blog of the same name, www.rawdorable.blogspot.com.

Comments